Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Book Worth Reading: The Dip by Seth Godin

Last week I had a meeting at a Starbucks that happens to be connected to a Barnes and Noble. After the meeting I set up at a table in the bookstore with my computer, notebook and cellphone. Since I was surrounded by books, and I picked one out figuring I'd read a chapter or two and contemplate.

I chose a short book by Seth Godin called "the dip - A Little Book that Teaches When to Quit (And When to Stick)  Since it is 86 pages and quite engrossing, I ended up reading it in its entirety in a little over an hour.

Good read!
Now I am still unpacking the lessons/ideas from this little gem!

I'll sum it up with one concept that helped me: "Winners quit all the time, they just quit the right stuff at the right time."

Too often quitting feels equal to failing. This book is stuffed to the gills with commentary around this idea that quitting truly isn't failing - in fact, it frees up your resources to excel - and most importantly, enables one to persevere and not quit when the going gets tough.

A few things that stuck out for me:
  • Be the best in the world! But remember: best is subjective and the consumer decides, not you. Likewise "the world" is defined by the consumer, not you.
  • Average feels safe but it's not - it's invisible.
  • Stick with your long-term strategy - quit the tactics that aren't working
  • Selling is a transference of emotion, not a presentation of facts.
That last point couldn't be more true. When was the last time you saw a soft drink commercial that that simply presented the facts - the sizes in which the drink is offered, servings per can or bottle and the stores in which you can find it?  

Think about this the next time you're trying to communicate with your audience. What emotion are you attempting to transfer?

Soft drink companies transfer an emotion or feeling of being refreshed and having fun or being cool. A nonprofit might transfer the emotion of satisfaction/joy of helping others and that they've made a difference.

No matter what it is - in order to build brand loyalty or cultivate a donor relationship you need to deliver on that promise. Be the best (to your audience) in the world (that they live in)! Don't distract your own message. Be who or what you say you are and stick with it!

The book truly is worth reading and might be one that should sit on your shelf - with some notes and earmarks. It has lists of questions to ask yourself before you quit (Am I panicking? Is my persistence going to pay off in the long run?) and chapters talking about getting out of ruts (or cul de sacs) and avoiding cliff edges.

Have you ever made the decision to quit something that enabled you to be even better at achieving your goal?

3 comments:

  1. no. i'm kind of thick. i get stuff taken from me and then i realize it enabled something even better. i'm trying to learn the whole "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em" thing. I'll have to check out the book. thanks for the review...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, that's me too! And it's where I am right now. I'm in job transition right now because the marketing and communications department was eliminated at my organization. While frustrating at times, it has given me great opportunity for soul searching and reevaluation. The book is fabulous - like I said takes about an hour to read but much longer to "unpack." Enjoy!

      Delete