Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Photo a Day Challenge Day 6: Hat

Brought to you by the letter "B."

I tried. But every time I had the hat on her little head she would look up and knock it off. So here it is: Hat. 

If you knew me you know I have a TON of Sox hats. This one is my favorite. Here's why:

It was a chilly spring day in Boston. April 2005. I was at work when my brother-in-law called me and said "What do you have going on this afternoon?" My reply "Why do you ask, Pete?" What he said next I'll never forget "One of my customers has some Green Monster tickets. We have an extra. Can you come?"

"Can you come?" Those words still echo in my head. This was opening day 2005. If you aren't a Red Sox fan you might not realize that this was *THE* opening day. The Red Sox had just won the World Series in 2004 after the most talked about comeback in the division series (remember? Yankees were up 3 games to 0...Red Sox came back like a force to be reckoned with and not only won 4 straight games against the Yankees taking the American League title but then went on to win another 4 straight games against the Cardinals winning the World Series. No team had ever done that and no team has done it since!) So "Can you come?" - to the game at which they would receive their first rings in 86 years? At a game where they would face the Yankees? And I could be in the Green Monster (where you didn't buy tickets but had to be picked from a lottery)? Um....let me think about that.

So after I sent a quick email to my boss, who was in a meeting, letting him know I was taking the afternoon off because of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity I booked it to Brookline to park the car and walk to Fenway park. 

We got our rings, gave Mariano Rivera a standing ovation (look it up) and won the game. I bought this hat. Amazing. My favorite Fenway Park memory of all time, and I've been to a LOT of games! 

So this hat is my favorite. 

And that's my dog, Fenway, sitting next to it. Silly pooch refused to wear this little piece of history!!

Thanks Pete! 

No comments:

Post a Comment